There are few times in my life that I was more anxious than I was this morning. After anticipating this for so long, the packing, the goodbyes, the packing and the goodbyes, I was pretty much at a loss. Which is the place I needed to be because what became immediately clear to me the moment I took off is that there is no way I can live 6 months in a foreign country speaking another language by my own determination- even if I am overly determined. I slept for the first part of my flight to New Jersey but it only took flying about half way across the U.S. for me to realize that I am not my own, I didn't get to this place by myself, and that I am so blessed. Blessed with incredible friends who have shown me how to love and to be loved. Blessed with parents who not only encourage me to dream but make huge sacrifices so that I can pursue those dreams- supporting me yes, financially, but much more importantly spiritually and emotionally. And blessed by a God who sent his son to die for my sins, making a way for me to come to him in order to experience real life. Because seeking the Lord and in Him real, rich, full life as we were meant to live was my purpose in the U.S. and will continue to be my purpose in Italy. Everything is different here- literally everything, I almost kissed someone on the lips because I couldn't remember which cheek they kiss first when they greet each other (it's your left to their left first by the way) and staring at someone without smiling for long periods of time is not weird here at all and it took me a full 2 minutes to figure out how to flush the toilet (it's a discrete little button) - but God is constant, as is his presence and purpose in my life and I am SO GLAD for this constancy.
Andy and Linda Brucato have graciously welcomed me into their home and picked me up from the airport. They really did hold up a sign with my name on it, so cool right? They are American missionaries that have lived here for the past 24 years, they started the church they now attend and have developed many different ministries here including two new ones serving people in prisons and prostitutes. They have huge hearts, loud laughs, and love the Lord a ton. I have been so encouraged by them already. I am currently sitting in my room in their apartment if I want to live here the whole time I am welcome to. They live on the 9th floor- the top one- of their apartment building and have an awesome view of the city and the mountains from their balcony (I'll take a picture of it soon). Linda made me tea and a macchiato (so, so good) and we talked for a long time this afternoon.
Another student is staying with them just for a couple of days because the dorms are closed for the holiday. Her name is Diana, she is from Colombia and I love her. She is 26, doing a masters program at the university but leaving to study in Germany at the end of February for a while. She told me all about her community through their church and through school and treated me like we were already friends. One of my favorite moments of the day was when she started blessing me- I'm not sure if this is a Colombian thing or an Italian thing but it was literally incredible. She spoke a blessing over all my time here and the way God is going to use it and how my life will affect others and all the people I will meet. It was so sincere and so selfless. There have been many good moments like that today. A few of the Brucato's friends came over and they all went back in forth between Italian and English like it was as easy as breathing. It was good to listen to them speak Italian, Diana and Linda have decided that I will pick up the language just fine. I hope they're right!
Their son and his wife also came over for dinner with their two children and that was so fun. Linda made pasta ragu (so, so good) which is actually just the name of the type of pasta- meat sauce- and there is a more Italian name for the dish I can't remember. She also made homemade bread and her son made tiramisu, I LOVE ITALIAN FOOD. Their children are 2 and 3 and the most precious things ever. The two-year-old boy Gabriele climbed all over me- they told me to tell you mom that an Italian boy is already in love with me haha. I'm in love with him too!
As good as it has been it has also been a long, hard day too. I miss you guys, so much. It's overwhelming and so new and despite the ways that people have reached out to me so well, still lonely. Dependence on the Lord has been sweet, there is no other way I could have gotten through the day. But now I am tired which is good because I need to sleep so that I can adjust to the time change!
I love you, I miss you!
Andy and Linda Brucato have graciously welcomed me into their home and picked me up from the airport. They really did hold up a sign with my name on it, so cool right? They are American missionaries that have lived here for the past 24 years, they started the church they now attend and have developed many different ministries here including two new ones serving people in prisons and prostitutes. They have huge hearts, loud laughs, and love the Lord a ton. I have been so encouraged by them already. I am currently sitting in my room in their apartment if I want to live here the whole time I am welcome to. They live on the 9th floor- the top one- of their apartment building and have an awesome view of the city and the mountains from their balcony (I'll take a picture of it soon). Linda made me tea and a macchiato (so, so good) and we talked for a long time this afternoon.
Another student is staying with them just for a couple of days because the dorms are closed for the holiday. Her name is Diana, she is from Colombia and I love her. She is 26, doing a masters program at the university but leaving to study in Germany at the end of February for a while. She told me all about her community through their church and through school and treated me like we were already friends. One of my favorite moments of the day was when she started blessing me- I'm not sure if this is a Colombian thing or an Italian thing but it was literally incredible. She spoke a blessing over all my time here and the way God is going to use it and how my life will affect others and all the people I will meet. It was so sincere and so selfless. There have been many good moments like that today. A few of the Brucato's friends came over and they all went back in forth between Italian and English like it was as easy as breathing. It was good to listen to them speak Italian, Diana and Linda have decided that I will pick up the language just fine. I hope they're right!
Their son and his wife also came over for dinner with their two children and that was so fun. Linda made pasta ragu (so, so good) which is actually just the name of the type of pasta- meat sauce- and there is a more Italian name for the dish I can't remember. She also made homemade bread and her son made tiramisu, I LOVE ITALIAN FOOD. Their children are 2 and 3 and the most precious things ever. The two-year-old boy Gabriele climbed all over me- they told me to tell you mom that an Italian boy is already in love with me haha. I'm in love with him too!
As good as it has been it has also been a long, hard day too. I miss you guys, so much. It's overwhelming and so new and despite the ways that people have reached out to me so well, still lonely. Dependence on the Lord has been sweet, there is no other way I could have gotten through the day. But now I am tired which is good because I need to sleep so that I can adjust to the time change!
I love you, I miss you!
Duey says...
ReplyDeleteWhat a tremendous deal this blog will be. I had a blast reading, and truly look forward to the tale you will tell here. You aren't alone, and that truth is more real when we can read and respond. God's best for you is already aparent. I pray for your patience and trust and closeness to Him! Friday, 1/6 at 4:10pm