We started our intensive language class on Monday, which consists of:
- 15 students from various UC's- 6 are actually from Berkeley! Though I only knew one before we got here
- an advisor named Peggy- One of the most enthusiastic people I have ever seen, ever. She's awesome.
- another advisor named Maiju- from the U.S. she went to UC Santa Cruz and is dedicated to our safety in Bologna! She's so sweet and helpful... and will talk to us in English if we are lost
- an instructor named Chiara- Young and fun, she started working for EAP 2 years ago and is in charge of teaching us all about the city of Bologna in and outside the classroom
- 10 to 1 every day during the week at the Study Center and museums throughout the city
It has been good to begin to develop some kind of a routine, but even then its still early. It's more like a glimpse of a routine, or a glimpse of a glimpse of of some kind of order that becomes a little clearer everyday. I feel pretty exhausted by night time, which I think is a combination of having to concentrate so hard to understand the Italian everyone speaks so quickly, being emotionally all over the place and walking so much. I have done so much walking all over the center, even though I still only recognize a few streets at this point. Every building and street is so unique but then has this ability to look so similar at the same time... which means a lot of my walking is done from getting slightly lost and taking the least direct route to my destination! But I'm learning! Today I got on the right bus in the right direction twice! That's right. One of the harder things about the last two days has been trying to walk through the decision about where I should live. I love Andy and Linda and their place, it is so beautiful and comfortable and warm. But it means that I have to take a bus into the center everyday and back at night. Many of the other students in my program are looking for apartments in the center right now, we all went apartment hunting together which is an adventure in itself. I can see the value of living with Italian students in the center where I have school everyday, but I also have been so blessed by being where I am. So the decision remains. I'm trying to "dare tempo al tempo"- which one of Diana's friends Manuel told me, literally meaning "give time to time"- makes sense right? It takes time to adjust and time to make decisions so I'm trying to take each day at a time and wait on the Lord for guidance! Manuel and I talked for about 20 minutes last night about faith in Italian- which was 1) so cool to hear about God moving in another country from a guy close to my age and to share in our love for Him and 2) not easy because I've never talked about faith in Italian before, there are so many words to learn! In every context so many words to learn! I was so encouraged by that conversation though, and that God continues to remind me I'm not alone in this.
Loving Italian coffee and pizza but actually missing Special K!
No comments:
Post a Comment